- To show the reason why it is hard for high raw weapon to out damage raw + element weapon
- To find the best highest raw damage weapon
- To show that sharpness +1 gives the same bonus as AUL on raw weapons
- To find out if high raw + lower element is better, or lower raw + higher elemental is better
- To show which raw + elemental weapon is better than pure raw weapon
- To show that which armor skill is better on a raw + elemental damage weapon
- To show that it is still possible for high raw to out damage raw + elemental damage
- To show that Raw works better on Monster
- To show situation where elemental would work better
- How to achieve the best raw damage in the game
I have been doing research on MH3P weapon class. And I have discover that pure raw still remains good. However, it is very hard for pure raw to out dps raw + elemental given 2 reasons.
1) Affinity was no longer affected by sharpness damage, therefore a high base raw damage is more important if you want to use affinity as a factor.
2) Most pure raw damage weapons does not as high raw as weapons that gives Raw + Elemental damage.
We will use longsword class weapon examples in this discussion. First we will list out several long sword that has high raw, so that we can find the highest raw weapon to compare. (Shown is the upgrade damage, because when you upgrade a raw + elemental weapon, the elemental damage doesn't upgrade)
Sharpness modifiers: Color Raw Element Red 0.50 0.25 Orange 0.75 0.50 Yellow 1.00 0.75 Green 1.05 1.00 Blue 1.20 1.0625 White 1.32 1.125
Note: The affinity damage is calculated base on the Raw damage, not the sharpness damage. Since Affinity was not affected by Sharpness.
(0.25 x base Raw) Not (0.25 [RAW X Sharp])
Which long swords have the best raw?
Surprise? Akantor Long Sword has the best pure RAW damage even with a crap sharpness. Tigrex is good as well but do take note Tigrex white sharpness can be gone easily in several hits even with sharp sword.
You may argue that you can add sharpness +1 with some weapons, however adding AUL (silver rathalos set) to those weapon that cant add sharpness +1 will still make them as effective. This is the reason why I only calculate the base damage of the weapon, not with sharpness +1
AUL vs Sharpness +1 on weapons
See? This is the reason why I only calculate the base damage of the weapon, not with sharpness +1
Now we will take an Elemental Weapon and Calculate the damage, supposedly we are fighting against a creature that is weak to lightning.
So we take all the thunder long sword and compare to see which is the best thunder long sword.
Higher Raw, lower elemental vs lower raw, higher elemental
When considering armor skills for Raw + Elemental, armor skills that adds raw damage is better than armor skills that add pure elemental damage.
I shall show you
Sharpness +1, Elemental Attack Up (1.1), Thunder Attack +2 (1.2)
Sharpness +1, Attack Up Large, Exploiter
Which armor skill work best on raw + elemental?
So what about monster? I will bring some monster data here, we shall see.
EDIT 1: Dobo is added into it as it gives a better example
We have see in this case a high raw would work well on here since dobo take in a high amount of silce. Only fire damage would shines on attacking his horn. But it is not recommended to attack there.
This shows that the monster take in more raw damage than elemental damage most of the time.
EDIT 1: Silver Rathalos is an bad example and has bit edited away.
Let us take a look at agnaktor damage zone
Take the head resistance here. If Agnaktor is covered in snow, all damage is reduces to 0.15. However, agnaktor still take in same amount of fire damage. This shows that a higher element weapon would deal more damage if agnaktor is cover in snow.
So how do we achieve the best raw damage in the game? Since Akantor longsword is the best among all the long sword. We will piece a good armor skill on it.
EDIT 2: Seems that either Full Jhen set or Full Silver Rathalos would work better with Akantor Longsword.
I have come to the end of my Discussion. Conclusion as follows.
- Affinity damage was no longer being affected by sharpness in mhp3rd making it hard to out damage than raw + elemental weapons.
- Some raw + elemental weapon can out damage most pure raw weapons, but there are pure raw weapons that are still better than raw + elemental weapons
- Akantor Long Sword is an example of a pure weapon that can out damage a lot of long sword damage despite having a green sharpness.
- Adding AUL gives about the same bonus as adding sharpness +1 on a raw damage weapon, an example is done on dobo, it only has 4 damage difference.
- Higher raw + lower elemental weapon gives overall better damage than Lower raw + higher elemental weapon, Jinouga long sword is better than gigginox long sword.
- Jinouga long sword is not as good as Akantor long sword without armor skills.
- Alatreon long sword is the only raw + elemental weapon that is better than Akantor long sword without armor skill
- Armor skill that add raw damage is better than armor skill that add elemental damage
- It is still possible for high raw to out damage some raw + elemental in MHp3rd
- Monster usually take in higher raw damage than Elemental Damage, but in some situation where higher elemental would do more damage. Like agnaktor hardened shell mode.
- Giving Akantor longsword a good armor skill would enable it to achieve a good high raw damage in a game. However a few weapons like Jinouga long sword and rathalos long sword can still do more damage than Akantor long sword if you give them the correct armor skills.
If you want to go elemental then it depends on how fast you hit and where you are hitting. High raw is good for those who want to consistently pressure the weak points.
Violet Kira for monster data guide and weapon list
Holywoochuk for damage formula
Lord Grahf for damage formula
Jask for damage formula clarifications
Edited by Nosuke, 23 February 2011 - 05:00 AM.