Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Basukesu : (30 September 2014 - 01:09 AM) <goes back to lurk mode>
@  Basukesu : (30 September 2014 - 01:09 AM) <laughs maniacally at Destiny>
@  Basukesu : (30 September 2014 - 01:09 AM) <peeks in>
@  Tuddle : (29 September 2014 - 08:29 PM) I haven't played Destiny but in MH the grind was the meat of the game so it wasn't that monotonous
@  Rajko : (29 September 2014 - 06:32 PM) Well yeah, but Destiny isn't as rewarding... Sadly.
@  Jask : (29 September 2014 - 06:20 PM) I dunno, we ARE MH fans...
@  Rajko : (29 September 2014 - 05:37 PM) Destiny's gonna annoy you once you hit end game... Grinding the same missions over and over again, never getting anything useful while others get legendery sh*t every mission.
@  BizzarreCoyote : (29 September 2014 - 03:21 PM) Aye, though that outage may have convinced people that we're dead for good...
@  Jay eL : (29 September 2014 - 02:10 PM) i sure am glad the Minegarde is back
@  Jask : (28 September 2014 - 08:17 AM) Nope, just two days.
@  BizzarreCoyote : (28 September 2014 - 06:51 AM) Oh good, I thought Minegarde went offline for good.
@  Jask : (26 September 2014 - 05:37 PM) Hunter. Got to level 12.
@  Joker : (26 September 2014 - 12:42 PM) Which class did you play, Jask? :)
@  Joker : (26 September 2014 - 12:41 PM) Destiny is great fun! It gets better the more you play it even though the structure of the game doesn't really change that much. I get why people complain about the game being repetitive and how it makes you really have to work for your loot but come on! It's practically an MMO so of course there's farming/repetitive elements to the game!
@  Jask : (26 September 2014 - 06:15 AM) isup.me/ is a good way of checking that, OutteBill.
@  OutteBill : (26 September 2014 - 05:46 AM) ...I was thinking Minegarde was down only for me...
@  Tuddle : (26 September 2014 - 05:35 AM) ORAA!
@  Jask : (26 September 2014 - 02:22 AM) Just a little DNS mixup on our end. Apologies for the inconvenience.
@  Jask : (26 September 2014 - 02:21 AM) ORA!ORA!ORA!ORA!ORA!ORA!ORA!ORA!ORA!ORA!ORA!ORA!ORA!
You're already answered.
@  Mad Hatter : (26 September 2014 - 02:04 AM) Do you know what happened to the site? Did Kenshin tell you anything?

Photo

Gunlance Compendium

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 bothamliam

bothamliam

Legendary Gunlance

• Honorary
  • 22 posts
  • PSN:xBothamliam
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 18 July 2010 - 05:23 PM

Hiya Everyone, this is still in the making, however, a majority of the first part is now finished. All that is left is the Armour and Weapon Recommendations throughout the game. Oh, and the monster strategies :]

Please Enjoy :]

Gunlance Guide

Hi Guys and Gals and welcome to my Gunlance Strategy Guide. During this, I am planning to describe and explain everything about Gunlances. I will be giving information ranging from Shot Type Damage, Low Rank, High Rank and G Rank Weapon and Armour set Recommendations, all the way up to Strategies for each individual monster at each Stage in the game ( Lo, High, G ).

First things first; I'm not going to lie to you, Gunlance are one of the games lowest Tier weapons, if you want to use them, you need to be aware that they take alot of patience, and alot of practice to use efficiently, and run times will NEVER be as good as say..they would be with a Hammer or GS.

So What Exactly IS A Gunlance, and How Does it Work?

Gunlance's are a weapon which share some aspects with Lance, but with a fair few vital differences.

A Gunlance works similarly to a lance, it even shares 3 of the same actions as a Lance. A straight forward jab, a diagonally upward jab, and the ability to block. However, Gunlance then expands on this moveset with a few more attacks, which can be used in different ways. Here is a list of the Gunlance's attacks, and how to perform each one.

Straight Jab : No Movement + Triangle<br style=""> <br style="">

• This attack is brilliant. Not only is it the gunlances FASTEST repeating attack ( can be repeated up to three times in a row ), it is also a great way to deal elemental damage to a monster.
Long Range Charge : Moving Forwards + Triangle ( Also the Unsheath Attack )<br style=""> <br style="">

• This is another brilliant attack. During the animation for this attack you are invulnerable to wind. It also covers quite an impressive distance, so it useful for both Dodging, and Rushing a Monster if you know it's about to flinch on a certain hitpoint.
Uppercut : Triangle+Circle<br style=""> <br style="">

• This is a very useful attack. This attack causes your player to swing the Gunlance straight into the air above you head, dealing decent damage, but also allowing you to hit the head of tall monsters ( such as Tigrex in his RAWR animation ), or if you follow the attack by Circle, it allows you to shoot a shot Vertically into the Air. With Practice, you can use this attack followed by a shot to knock a Rathalos out of the air by shooting his tail, similar to the way a Bow or Gun can knock him out of the air by shooting him.
Diagonal Jab : Triangle while in the Guard Position<br style=""> <br style="">

• Ah, the infamous Turtle Attack. This attack is good for hitting the heads of monsters such as Rathalos, however, it is also infamously known for being the Turtle Attack, because it is possible to Guard, use this attack, the instantly go back into guard again, meaning that you can deal damage to a monster, while remaining behind your shield and taking none yourself ( unless of course you are hit by the monster during the jab animation ).
Shoot : Circle after any attack, you can then follow up the shot, with any attack ( excluding Wyverns Fire )<br style=""> <br style="">

• A shot can be fire after every single attack ( excluding Wyverns Fire ), after a shot has been fired, you can then perform any attack ( excluding Wyverns Fire ). There are several Types of Shot, and their damage depends on their type, and your Shelling Level, but I'll talk more about that in the next Section.
  • Even though they are called "GUN"Lances, Gunlances don't actually shoot bullets which go flying across the map, moreover, they just go boom at the end of the lance.
Reload : Tap Circle While in the Guard Position OR Tap Circle after performing a Dodge ( Hop ) in any Direction.<br style=""> <br style="">

• Reloading is exactly what it says on the tin. Your shot type will depict the amount of shots in the GL at any one time ( Normal = 5, Long = 3, Spread = 2, however, there are skills to increase this ), but ammo is unlimited.
Wyverns Fire : Hold Triangle and Circle during the Guard Position.<br style=""> <br style="">

• Ah, Wyverns Fire my old friend >:] This is a brilliant attack, it is an ENORMOUS Blast that erupts from the end of your Gunlance after a brief charging period, which does decent damage. More info on this in the next Section.
Shoot!
All quote's in this Section are taken from DS31_'s Melee Damage FAQ on GameFaqs. All Credit for them goes to him.

Normal:

Normal Shots are the bog standard type, that come with most Gunlances and is the only type available at the beginning of the game. They also have the shortest range.

The shot damage they inflict, is depicted by their Shelling level.<br style=""> <br style="">

Normal Type:

Level 1: 12 power and 4 fire
Level 2: 15 power and 5 fire
Level 3: 18 power and 6 fire
Level 4: 21 power and 7 fire
Level 5: 24 power and 8 fire

As you can see, they aren't that powerful, even at high levels, but due to the sheer amount of them in the chamber ( 5, 6 with Load Up ), they are handy for chaining together long combos.

Long:

Long Shots are the next step up the ladder from Normal. They have fairly decent damage, and pretty good range.<br style=""> <br style="">

Long Type:

Level 1: 18 power and 9 fire
Level 2: 22 power and 10 fire
Level 3: 28 power and 14 fire
Level 4: 32 power and 16 fire
Level 5: 36 power and 18 fire

As you can see, these have quite a decent power upgrade from Normal type. They also have more range, however, you can only have 3 in the chamber at any one time.

Spread:

Spread are, in my personal opinion, the Bee's Knee's of the Gunlance world. Not only do they do ridiculous damage ( they are the Fatalis killer ), they look cool too. Their only downside is their rarity ( only about 4-5 End Game Gunlances have the Capacity to fire Spread Shots :( ), and the fact that you can only hold 2 in the chamber at any one time ( 3 with Load Up :D ).<br style=""> <br style="">

Spread Type:

Level 1: 24 power and 6 fire
Level 2: 32 power and 8 fire
Level 3: 40 power and 10 fire
Level 4: 44 power and 11 fire
Level 5: 48 power and 12 fire

I love the way the Level 1 Spread shot does the same damage than the Level 5 normal..
Anyway, as you can see again, Spread Shots have quite a Damage Boost from Long Type, however, the Range is a little shorter ( about mid-way between Normal and Long ).

Wyverns Fire:

Wyverns Fire is the Daddy of all Gunlance attacks. Each shot that comes from the end during this attack, does the same damage as a Spread shot of the same Shelling Level ( with a little bit more Fire ), however, it hits 4 times in a row, and ignores Monster Defense, meaning the damage from the explosion is constant.

Another thing you should note about Wyverns Fire is that, because it IS so powerful, there is a whopping 2 minute recharge time. During this time you can still fire regular shots, and still attack as normal, but you will not be able to use Wyverns Fire again until your Gunlance has recharged. Most Gunlances have an animation during recharge, such as a panel opening on the side revealing a red hot piece of metal, or even a glowing section.

Damage:

Wyvern Fire:

Level 1: 30 power and 10 fire
Level 2: 36 power and 12 fire
Level 3: 42 power and 14 fire
Level 4: 44 power and 15 fire
Level 5: 48 power and 16 fire

Example:

[POWER + ((FIRE x FIRE HITZONE) x DEFENSE)] = Total x 4 = Total Damage.
42 14 0.50 1.0 49 x 4 = 196

This is an extract of DS31_'s Melee Damage FAQ. It demonstrates the Damage that a Level 3 Gunlance with Normal Type shots will do to a Velocidrome if you use Wyverns Fire.

So, what skills do I want to use?

Ok, now the Basics of the Gunlance are out of the way, you might be curious as to what Skills one should use with them.

First off, there are some skills which are recommended for Gunlance users, no matter what their playstyle.

Sharpness+1 ( Artisan+10 ) : One of the most useful skills in the game. Adding extra sharpness to your Gunlance not only means you wont bounce as much, but also that you will get a damage boost from the extra level!

Sharpsword ( Sharpness+10 ) : Another one of the most useful Gunlance skills you can get. Gunlances Blunt quickly, and I mean very quickly, Wyverns Fire can reduce you sharpness after just one use, as can 2 or 3 Spread Type Shots. This skill MAJORLY decreases the speed at which you weapon loses sharpness.

ESP ( Fencing+10 ) : Gunlances bounce. That's a fact of life and you'll have to get used to it. However, with this handy skill, bouncing is no longer a problem, as you will NEVER, EVER bounce :]

Gunnery King ( Gunnery+15 ) : This is a handy skill, not only does it give shelling a slight damage boost, for each level of gunnery ( Gunnery Master [ Gunnery+10 ], Gunnery King [ Gunnery+15 ] ), this skill knocks 15 seconds off of your reload time, bringing it down to a minimum of 90 seconds. Sounds like a long time still ( and it is ), but it's amazing for monsters such as Gravios and Fatalis, who take MAJOR damage from shelling and Wyverns Fire.

Ok, this next part of the section will list 2 Classes of Skills, Skills which apply to Turtling and Skills which apply to Evading ( I will explain each of these Classes in their Respective Sections ).

Turtling Skills:

Turtling is a very common style of play. It involves sitting behind your shield, and only attacking during openings, then immediately returning to Guard, hence the name, "Turtling".

Some people frown upon this playstyle, and admittedly, it's not the best way to use a Gunlance ( it's slow, and boring ), but it can be useful in some situations ( Take Gravios for example ).

Skills:

Guard+1/2 ( Guard+10/20 ) and Guard Inc ( Guard Up+10 ) : These skills should be a Turtles best friends. Guard+1 and +2 massively decrease the amount of stamina you take after guarding an attack, and also reduce the damage you take from guarding an attack ( some enemies attacks can damage you a little, even while guarding ).

Guard Inc is slightly different. It doesn't reduce Stamina Usage, and it doesn't decrease damage taken. However, what it DOES do, is allow you to block attacks, which are normally unblockable ( meaning even if you block, you will take 100% of the attacks damage, and be sent flying ). Some examples of these attacks are Gravios' Fire Fart and Flame Beam.

Guard+2 is fantastic, but not always needed, however it does have the added bonus of having Guard Inc built INTO the skill.

Survival ( Survival+10 ) : This skill means that if your health is above 70%, if you take a hit that would have killed you ( One Hit Ko attack, such as Fatalis' Skydive ), then you will survive with ONE HP remaining, and NO red bar. This can be a lifesaver, especially against Fatalis and Tigrex's rage mode.

Evading Skills:

Evading is the other style of play for Gunlances. This is when you utilise skills such as Evade+2, Evade Inc, HGE etc ( skills which allow you to attack during situations you normally wouldn't, or avoid attacks without having to guard as to allow you to get in some extra hits ).

Skills:

Evade+2 ( Evade+15 ) : Evade+2 is simply an amazing skill. It massively increases the time in which you are invulnerable during a dodge ( roll, backhop ), allowing you to go STRAIGHT through some monsters attacks, instead of having them go straight through you.

Evade Inc ( Evade Up+10 ) : Evade Inc is similar to Evade+2, but instead of increasing your invulnerability time, it increases your dodge DISTANCE.

High Grade Earplugs ( Earplug+15 ) : This is a very handy skill which allows you to completely ignore the roar of a monster, and get in some extra attacks, or escape to heal during that time.

High Wind Resistance ( Wind Res+15 ) : This may not be the ultimate form of the Wind Res Skill, but it is definitely the most useful. It allows you to attack during monster landing animations, Diablos' dig attack etc.

OK, So I Know What Skills to Use, but What Equipment Should I Be Aiming For?

Ok, so now we have the skills out of the way, lets look at attainable equipment, and what you should be aiming for throughout the ranks.

Low Rank

HR1

Weapons to Aim For:

Steel Gunlance

Total Required Materials ( Starting with "Iron Gunlance" in the Weaponsmith ):
15x Machalite Ore
10x Iron Ore
10x Gunpowder
8x Earth Crystals
1x Flame Sac

Pure epicness and it looks damn sexy too. I used this to absolutely DESTROY my first ever Khezu. As long as you have green sharpness, you aren't going to bounce too often against any low rank monster ( apart from Gravios/Basarios ).

Armour Sets to Aim For:

Hermitaur

Skills to gem for:
Guard+1
Throwing Skill Up
Defence+10/20

This armour set is great for the beginning of the game, Guard+1 will help you get used to blocking monsters attacks, and the defence boost will help when you dont.

Hi Metal with the Silver Metal Boots

Skills to gem for:
Gunnery King
Health+10/20
Spirits Whim

Another useful HR1 set demonstrating the usefulness of Gunnery King, which as I stated earlier, decreases the reload time on Wyverns Fire and slightly increases shelling power.

HR2

Weapons to aim for:

Deep Fisher

Total Required Materials ( Creation starting from "Marine Fisher" ):
20x Iron Ore
10x Burst Arrowana
6x Plesioth Scale
11x Plesioth Fin
4x Monster Bone+
7x Dragonite Ore

Awesome Gunlance, and also one of the best at this stage in the game.

Hellsting

Total Required Materials ( Create From Scratch ):
20x Blango Pelt
10x Sharp Claw
2x Giant Bone
2x Blangonga Fang

Possibly the best HR2 Gunlance after Special Ops Gunlance. Spread type shots, 10% Affinity, 1 Weapon Slot, Decent Sharpness, Ice Element...what's not to love?

Special Ops Gunlance

Total Required Materials ( Upgrade from Steel Gunlance ):
15x Machalite Ore
3x Firestone
2x Lightcrystal

So sharp O_O, it also has very nice raw, and looks damn nice. A very good early Tigrex Killer.

Armour Sets to Aim For:

Ceanataur

Skills to gem for:
Sharpness+1
Sharpsword
Sharpening Skill Inc
Defence-20

Do I even need to explain this set to you? It's pure awesomeness, and needs to be made. Don't let the Defence-20 put you off of it though. It's not a big problem :]

HR3

Weapons to aim for:

Ok, now we're getting somewhere, HR3 is where Gunlances start to do some decent damage in my opinion.

White Cannon

Total Required Materials ( Upgrade from "Steel Gunlance" ):
10x Gravios Shell
15x Machalite Ore
6x Flame Sac
4x Firestone
1x Gravios Skl Shell

Really nice GL, Long type shots and very nice sharpness.

Rex Blast

Total Required Materials ( Create from scratch ):
5x Tigrex Claw
4x Tigrex Fang
2x Tigrex Shell
1x Pokke Ticket

Very good sharpness ( Blue Sharpness at HR3 = hax ), spread type shots, and sexyness. Shame about the negative affinity, but it's not really a hinderance to thsi GL's power.

Imperial Gunlance

Total Required Materials ( Upgrade from Special Ops Gunlance ):
6x Firestone
5x Dragonite Ore
3x Monster Bone+

Lots of sharpness, and I mean LOTS of sharpness. It may only be green but golly, there's a lot of it O_o.

Lunas Roar

Total Required Materials ( Starting with "Lunas Howl" in the Weaponsmith ):
12x Lunastra Shell
2x Lunastra Tail
2x Teostra Tail
2x Lunastra Mane
5x Dragonite Ore
1x Elder Dragon Blood

Possibly the BEST HR3 Gunlance. Good raw, MASSIVE Fire Damage, Spread Type shots, Blue Sharpness, WHITE if you made the Ceanataur set I recommended.

Black Gunlance

Total Required Materials ( Upgrade from "White Cannon" ):
15x Black Gravios Shell
4x Firecell Stone
2x Wyvern Stone

Very good Gunlance, sharp, long type shots. It's very nice :]

Hellsting+

Total Required Materials ( Upgrade from "Hellsting" ):
5x Blangonga Tail
5x Tigrex Fang
2x Blangonga Fang

An even better Hellsting..no surprise there then :P

Armour Sets to Aim For:

There's actually nothing new here worth aiming for. Stick with Ceanataur until HR5 then make Ceanataur S, or HR6 and make Diablos U.

High Rank

HR4

Weapons to aim for:

Sea King Gunlance

Total Required Materials (Upgrade from "Marine Fisher"):
7x Plesioth Fin
4x Monster Bone+
7x Dragonite Ore
7x Carbalite Ore
10x Green Plesioth Scale
3x Green Plesioth Fin+
2x Wyvern Stone
10x Green Plesioth Scale+
7x Union Ore

This is a Gravios killer, pure and simple. Really nice sharpness, long type shots, very good water damage and some nice raw. It's a very good gunlance.

Armours to aim for:

There aren't really that many decent HR4 armours, that is, unless you "turtle" with gunlance, in which case:

Hermitaur S

--coming soon...gotta drive friend to hospital ._.--

HR5

Weapons to aim for:

Full Voltage

Create from Scratch:
Khezu Hide - Tan: 8
Thunder Sac: 5
Carbalite Ore: 10
Rubbery Hide+: 5

This is one hell of a gunlance, powerful, looks good and is very VERY effective against monsters such as Plesioth, Tigrex, Silver Los, Golden Ian etc, it'll even give Nargacuga (Naruga Kuruga) a run for it's money at HR8.

Hellstinger

Upgrade from Hellsting+:
Blangonga Fang+: 4
Blangonga Whiskr: 4
Blango Pelt+: 10

Yes, just...yes. YES YES YES.

This is possibly the BEST HR5-6 gunlance, Spread Type shots, Shelling lvl3, REAL nice sharpness, REAL nice attack/element combination..it's just fantastic.

Armour Recommendations:

The only new armour worth getting at this point is Ceanataur S, also, High Metal S is a pretty good armour set.

Ceanataur S

Sharpness+1
Attack Up Small
Defense -20

Can be gemmed for:

Attack Up Medium
Sharpness+1
Sword Sharpening Skill Inc

or if you swap out the helmet for Sword Saint Piercing:

Sharpness+1
ESP
Sword Sharpening Skill Inc
Attack Up Small

High Metal S

Gunnery King
Defence +20
All Resist -3

You could then gem it for:

Defence +30
Gunnery King
Sharpening Skill Inc
All Res -3

Or if you swapped out the helmet for Sword Saint Piercing and the Legs for Silver Metal Boots:

ESP
Gunnery King
Defence +30
[This is my recommended version]

HR6

Weapons you should aim for:

Tigrex Gunlance

Improve from the HR1/3 version:
Tigrex Fang+: 4
Tigrex Claw+: 5
Tigrex Carapace: 4

Really good RAW gunlance, great for monsters which require shelling, such as Gravios, Basarios, Fatalis etc.

Lunas Flare

Improve from Lunas Roar:
Lunastra Horn G: 2
Fire Drgn Scl+: 8
Fire Drgn Jwl: 1

One of the best HR6 gunlances, however, be aware that since the update from Freedom 2 to Freedom Unite, you now can NOT get this gunlance unless you have unlocked the Felyne Elder Nekoht Lunastra, as you need Lunastra Horn G.

Gun Chariot

Improve from Imperial Gunlance:

-> Silver Rook
Slvr Ratlos Tail: 1
Slvr Rathlos Cpc: 3
Slvr Ratlos Scl+: 5

-> Gun Chariot
Slvr Ratlos Tail: 3
Slvr Rathlos Wng: 1
Rathalos Ruby: 1
FireWyvrn Marrow: 10

Another fantastic gunlance for taking out Elder Dragons, Red/Green/Azure/Pink Rathalos / Rathian, Fatalis', Akantor etc.

Black Gore Cannon

Improve from Black Gunlance:
Blk Gravios Cpc: 8
Blk Gravios Skl: 2
Gravios BrainStm: 1

Armour you should aim for:

Diablos U

High Wind Res
Sharpsword
Defence -20

you can gem it for:

Gunnery King
Sharpsword
High Wind Res

Or, if you swap out the helmet for Sword Saint Piercing, and the Gauntlets for Ceanataur U it is possible to get:

High Wind Res [Dragon Wind Res with a 2 slot weapon]
ESP
Sharpsword
[This is the set I would recommend]

Auroros / Borealis Haku

G-Rank

--coming soon--
{Glorious Legacies}
http://youtube.com/TheGloriousLegacies
http://youtube.com/xijuice
http://youtube.com/bothamliam
Need any assistance or have any questions? Feel free to PM me.

#2 seraph

seraph

Khezu Whelp

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 09:29 PM

thorough, i like it :) good job looking forward to g rank guide
Posted Image

#3 Ndog921

Ndog921

Basarios

• Members
  • 429 posts
  • Kai:wish i had one :(
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 20 July 2010 - 03:05 AM

cool i wanted to learn GLing
Posted Image
sig made by Aegid

#4 Ndog921

Ndog921

Basarios

• Members
  • 429 posts
  • Kai:wish i had one :(
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 20 July 2010 - 03:14 AM

sry for double post
this may just be me but it might be easier if you did armours and weapons is seperate sections that way if I just want the weapon i can just go to that section
also maybe include elder with the ranks :unsure:
Posted Image
sig made by Aegid

#5 JBNagis

JBNagis

Khezu Whelp

• Members
  • 38 posts
  • Kai:JBNagis
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 12 August 2010 - 06:08 PM

This has realy helped me out. i been trying to get into GL for a while now. DS and Hammer are my weapons of choice. so going from super maneuverability to slow and steady is kind of jarring. Thanks for the tips

#6 Firestorm79

Firestorm79

Basarios

• Members
  • 298 posts
  • PSN:Dragonbane79

Posted 13 August 2010 - 04:08 PM

what? guard+2 has guard inc built into it??? Is this true?

#7 Ner'zhul

Ner'zhul

Khezu Whelp

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 07:08 PM

what? guard+2 has guard inc built into it??? Is this true?

No, it's not true.

#8 dh9n

dh9n

Basarios

• Members
  • 337 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 11:33 PM

I hope he can finish this soon.

#9 Firestorm79

Firestorm79

Basarios

• Members
  • 298 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 03:30 PM

I hope he can finish this soon.

why? so he can spout more false prophecies...

#10 mazereon

mazereon

Basarios

• Members
  • 317 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 11:43 PM

If you're going to be a dick you could at least use words correctly. He has "spouted" not one single "prophecy" in his guide.

If you have issues with the factual content, then point them out instead of throwing out passive agressive remarks that don't help anyone.
YouTube.com/user/mazereon
Bowgun Compendium 3rd: http://www.gamefaqs....-3rd/faqs/61634

#11 Ner'zhul

Ner'zhul

Khezu Whelp

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 12:19 AM

Actually, he did ask/point something about how the guide says that Guard+2 has Guard Inc built into it.

I don't know why bot would say this, since his descriptions for Guard +1/2 and Guard Inc was perfect and we can clearly see how DIFFERENT this two skills are. Having Guard+2 alone doesn't help against Gravios' beam.

Leaving that one sentence aside, this is a great guide. The list of Equipments are great and the descriptions for everything mentioned are imbued with awesomeness.

Edited by Ner'zhul, 18 August 2010 - 12:20 AM.

#12 Knyxc

Knyxc

Khezu Whelp

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 01:45 AM

Lol @ wyvern's fire being a brilliant attack.

#13 Firestorm79

Firestorm79

Basarios

• Members
  • 298 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 03:06 PM

If you're going to be a dick you could at least use words correctly. He has "spouted" not one single "prophecy" in his guide.

If you have issues with the factual content, then point them out instead of throwing out passive agressive remarks that don't help anyone.

Actually, he did ask/point something about how the guide says that Guard+2 has Guard Inc built into it.

I don't know why bot would say this, since his descriptions for Guard +1/2 and Guard Inc was perfect and we can clearly see how DIFFERENT this two skills are. Having Guard+2 alone doesn't help against Gravios' beam.

Leaving that one sentence aside, this is a great guide. The list of Equipments are great and the descriptions for everything mentioned are imbued with awesomeness.

- thx ner'zhul

Maze - did you actually read the thread?

Ok I admit my comment was rather unecessary, but the error I pointed out was rather glaring.

I thought it would be taken in jest, hence my tongue in cheek phraseology - if thread creator took offence, then I apologise. But there was no need for you to start wading in with your (frankly, offensive) comments. Didn't realise you could be such a dick.

Edited by Firestorm79, 19 August 2010 - 03:28 PM.

#14 Solyeuse

Solyeuse

Lao Shan

• Members
  • 735 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 11:44 AM

Hrrm. I believe the Guard+2/Guard Inc mistake was corrected on the old forums (or did he simply post, saying "it's not true, I'm sorry"? I don't recall), but Liam apparently didn't bother (no offense) to correct it in his Word document... or whatever he used to save his Compendium.

Sorry, but this is actually being quite rude. The way it's phrased, never mind that it's tongue-in-cheek (as you stated), has a very negative connotation, added to a very condescending tone (I do hope it was not intentional) - it sounds almost as if you're saying "there's no point continuing this guide, as everything's going to be false information", which is obviously not true.

I might also point out that you asked a question "what? guard+2 has guard inc built into it??? Is this true?", which was, I believe, adequately answered "No, it's not true." I'd like to point out that Liam, like everyone else, is human. "To err is human." I believe (from the old forums) Liam tried to block a Gravios Fire Fart with Guard+2 but not Guard Inc, and by some miracle he came out unharmed, thus leading to such an erroneous conclusion which was duly admitted (T.T I feel like an English teacher). That it has been reposted must have been a simple mistake. Again, "to err is human, to forgive is divine", but this time with more emphasis on the latter four words.

Didn't realise you could be such a dick.

Despite my hero worship of mazereon (lol?) I'm going to say that he was not exactly polite (and also misspelled "aggressive"). Name calling does not get anyone anywhere.

Hmm, not enough emphasis. How about: NAME CALLING DOES NOT GET ANYONE ANYWHERE.

I think I can understand where the both of you are coming from. Maze seems to be a bit overprotective - is that the right word to use? No, more like... I don't know, never mind, you get where I'm coming from - of Liam's Gunlance Compendium, and more than that, he doesn't seem to like your condescending tone towards the article/guide/compendium/whatever, possibly because he recognises the massive amount of work needed to write it up (I mean, he wrote - and finished - two of the things) then you come along and seemingly call it worthless. I'm sorry if I offend you, Firestorm, but I don't believe your skill with a gunlance is anywhere near that of Liam's - he's good enough to speedkill with it and can write a great guide - erroneous comment aside, I'm sure you found the guide fantastic (Ner'zhul did at least, and I share his sentiments).

If you are better at gunlancing than Liam, then I apologise again (and I applaud you, too).

Firestorm, your post (the one with the false prophecies comment) was apparently made in jest (as you so stated, and I am inclined to believe you) but its phrasing was way, way off. There's nothing wrong with making a post in jest, but do try to word it better next time so as not to offend anyone (for example, this post is carefully worded so as to offend no one, and it took, in total, 30+ minutes, including proof-reading and editing, lol). Due to this... unfortunate... event, maze gets defensive (I personally don't blame him, your post did seem rather offensive), you get defensive (by the way, you misspelled "unnecessary"), and before anyone knows it, a flame war's almost started.

Maze is right - if you have issues with the factual content, then point them out instead of throwing out passive aggressive remarks that don't help anyone (direct quote with spelling correction). Nonpassive, aggressive remarks (case in point: the word "dick", and before you ask, "dildo" isn't any better) are just as bad, though.

"To err is human, to forgive is divine". Firestorm, I realise that you have been... offended, by maze calling you a dick, but that does not give you any right to call him a dick (and I'm not saying he had the right to call you a dick either). Maze isn't a dick - I can safely say that from his attitude around the forum (old one included): he's always willing to help out. I don't think you're a dick either.

I don't want to see a flame war here - I like my forums peaceful, thank you very much - so kiss and make up say sorry for calling each other dicks never mind, I think you all get it.

...I feel like a bloody (are we allowed to swear? If the word "dick" is any indication...) parent.

EDIT, and Firestorm, I'm also sorry for putting that red -1 on the bottom left corner of your post ~.~ I was whacking at the multiquote buttons and thought that that red button with the minus sign on it would remove the quote thingy. Argh.

Edited by Solyeuse, 20 August 2010 - 11:45 AM.

#15 Firestorm79

Firestorm79

Basarios

• Members
  • 298 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 12:19 PM

Point well made and accepted - and had Maze made the point in the manner in which u did I would have been more humble. As I said in my earlier post if I've caused offence to the thread creator then i do apologise.

And just to clarify: I am in no way epic at gunlancing...

Let's move on.

#16 Ner'zhul

Ner'zhul

Khezu Whelp

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 04:53 PM

If you are better at gunlancing than Liam, then I apologise again (and I applaud you, too).

I am not a demigod when gunlancing monsters, I'm probably waaaay inferior.
And why are you apologizing? You did nothing wrong.

Lol @ wyvern's fire being a brilliant attack.

Wyvern's fire is a very effective attack from low rank to high rank monsters (I'm not really sure on G rank). Since most (if not all) monsters leave an opening for wyvern's fire, it's a good way to burn ~200 HP in less than a second.

#17 Chaa

Chaa

Ukantor

• Members
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 11:13 PM

Wow it's hot in here. Oh wait, it's the flaming. :b

I (heart) liams gl vids

Posted Image
PANDOXFighting spambots w/wtflulz since 2010

#18 Knyxc

Knyxc

Khezu Whelp

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 12:47 AM

Wyvern's fire is a very effective attack from low rank to high rank monsters (I'm not really sure on G rank). Since most (if not all) monsters leave an opening for wyvern's fire, it's a good way to burn ~200 HP in less than a second.

Wyvern's Fire takes about 10 seconds to do (charge up + knockback), wastes sharpness, and doesn't do enough damage to compensate. Stabbing a monster on it's weak spot would do more damage over time. Of course, there are specific cases where WF is useful like when you're shelling a Fatalis with Gunnery King because of armor mode, but generally WF sucks and the guide fails to mention this.

#19 Firestorm79

Firestorm79

Basarios

• Members
  • 298 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 02:50 AM

Wow it's hot in here. Oh wait, it's the flaming. :b

I (heart) liams gl vids

Didn't realise I've been watching liam's GL vids on youtube - the guy is a gunlancing legend. I mean who'd even consider GLing a black blos let alone take no damage?!?

#20 Solyeuse

Solyeuse

Lao Shan

• Members
  • 735 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 03:54 AM

I am not a demigod when gunlancing monsters, I'm probably waaaay inferior.
And why are you apologizing? You did nothing wrong.

It was directed at Firestorm... I didn't know how good he was at gunlancing.

Wyvern's Fire takes about 10 seconds to do (charge up + knockback), wastes sharpness, and doesn't do enough damage to compensate. Stabbing a monster on it's weak spot would do more damage over time. Of course, there are specific cases where WF is useful like when you're shelling a Fatalis with Gunnery King because of armor mode, but generally WF sucks and the guide fails to mention this.

I'm not going to say this isn't true. However, Wyvern's Fire CAN be very useful - your "specific cases" are not so limited. Take, for example, a Rathalos/Rathian flying up. Gunlance attacks don't have High Wind Res, but Wyvern's Fire does. Ka-blam. Plus, it hits pretty hard - like a GS charged blow. I seem to recall Liam's sig in the old forum having a Tiggy charge at him while he charged WF, and killed it. Even if it doesn't die, WF is almost a guaranteed flinch - I.E you don't get hit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users